Adding photos and linking to them in content 1
Sat, 2009-07-11 14:42
The Gallery2 photo album organizer has been integrated into the website. This software allows users to easily create photos albums and visitors to view these albums. In addition, a module has been installed to allow users to add photos from the gallery into other content types by clicking on the "G2" button in the WYSIWYG editor. Here are some examples of how to use these functions.Creating a photo album and adding photos
- Under the navigation menu, click on "Photos and Data" This takes you to the main photo gallery page.
- Each user has their own album, and also access to the Research Photos album. It is recommended that personal photos be added in the user album and photos from research be added in the research album. Within each album, sub-albums should be used to organize photos.
- Click on one of the thumbnail to enter the respective album.
- To create a sub-album in the current album, click on the "Edit" link at the bottom left corner of the album page. This brings up a menu on the left column of the page.
- Click on "Add Album" to create the sub-album. This brings up a list of text boxes. The first box is the machine-readable name for the album and must be entered. All other fields are optional, but including a title and summary are highly recommended.
- Click "Create" once you have filled in the details. This creates the album and brings you to an another page where you may edit additional details about the album. These are inherited from the parent album and do not need to be adjusted in most cases.
- From the left column of options, click on "Add Items" to add either photos or videos. Please note that only certain video types are supported, and generally the file size of the videos should be less than 10MB.
- Clicking on "Add Items" brings up a new page with several tabs for different ways to upload images. These tabs may spill into the right sidebar, this is normal.
- You may use any method you wish. The the "Upload Applet" method is best for adding whole directories of images, and the "From Web Browser" method is useful for adding just a few images. If you have already uploaded images to the site and know the folder they live in, then use the "From Local Server" tab.
- Please try to include captions and descriptions for each item you add.
- Once you have finished adding items, you may view the new album by clicking on its name in the breadcrumb trail at the top of the page.
Fri, 2009-07-17 08:06#1
Use G2 Filter rather than Fullsize insert
I just updated the input filters to process G2 image tags (They look like: [G2:<id>] where <id> is the number of the image). You can still use the G2 button to browse images to insert. This option is preferred over the "Fullsize" option because it defers building the image link for the page until it is loaded where as the Fullsize option inserts the link directly into the post, so any changes in hostname, or file locations can break the link down the road.